The poll is now closed and below you can find the results
Having studied the results I've split the favourites into three different categories
- The Favourite Coloured Pencil in 2010 - Faber Castell Polychromos
- The Favourite Lightfast (6901) Coloured Pencil in 2010 - Caran d'Ache Luminance
- The Favourite brand of Coloured Pencil Media in 2010 - Sanford Prismacolor
|Which is your current favourite brand of artist grade coloured pencil?|
2010 Opinion Poll from Coloured Pencils - Resources for Artists
- 760 artists voted during 2010 compared to 792 in 2009
- in 2010 the different brands of pencil were disaggregated under each manufacturer
- Prismacolor appears to be ahead of Faber Castell as a brand leader - however 10% of that lead is accounted for by the woodless coloured pencils Art Stix (which are also marketed to pastel artists)
- the favourite brand of coloured pencil is Faber Castell Polychromos
- the favourite brand of Lightfast coloured pencil is Caran d'Ache Luminance
|Coloured Pencil Manufacturers (all brands)||2009||2010||Increase / (decrease)|
|Blick Studio Artists||0.0||2.0||2|
|Caran d’Ache (all brands)||10.4||10.7||0.3|
|Derwent ( all brands)||22.5||21.3||-1.2|
|Faber Castell Polychromos||27.3||26.4||-0.9|
|Sanford Prismacolor (all brands)||29.4||32.6||3.2|
|Royal Talens van Gogh||2.0||2.8||0.8|
Note: There's a rounding error in the 2009 total
Most of the percentage changes are minor apart from those relating to the smaller brands.
I'm hoping nothing happens to Lyra Rembrandt which is one of my favourite brands of pencils. They mix extremely well with Faber Castell Polychromos
Caran d'Ache Luminance (6901) appear to have succeeded in capturing significant market share where previous brands of lightfast pencils to the ASTM 6901 standard have not. This is despite being the most expensive coloured pencil on the planet!
I'm guessing here - but I do wonder whether the significant presence of Art Stix in the 2010 Poll may be due to one or more of four factors and significant changes in the way coloured pencil media is laid down
- easier to use for those wanting to use solvents with their coloured pencil media
- easier to use for those wanting to use heat with their coloured pencil media
- easier to use for those working on larger pictures
- multiple marketing - they are also bought by pastel artist
Do SUBSCRIBE if you'd like to be kept informed about the other Poll results for 2010
and reviews of art products and art books in 2011.
You can find a subscription link near the top of the side column.