The chart comes from the opinion poll which asked this question in a poll held on my Pastels - Resources for Artists website. Only soft pastels available at the beginning of January 2011 were listed (alphabetically) in the poll.
The top three brands of soft pastels are all made in Europe. They were:
- Unison (18%)
- Sennelier (13%)
- Schminke (9%)
As in previous polls a lot of smaller brands have carved out a niche and have some support - generally around 2-3%
Soft Pastels Popularity - Trend analysisHere's what the trends in terms of poll results have looked like over the last 4 times I've reported on which are the favourite brands of soft pastel.
- As you can see Unison has averaged c.20% +/- 2% and has consistently topped the poll for the last 6 years.
- Sennelier has continues to maintain its lead over Schminke
- Talens Rembrandt continues to challenge for third place - but isn't achieving at the moment
- Terry Ludwig continues to lead the USA 'pack' of artisan pastel makers
BRAND OF PASTEL
Winsor & Newton
- the 2006-09 poll was run continuously for three years and had
- the 2010 Poll ran for a year and had 361 responses
- the 2011 Poll was checked in February 2012 and had 252 responses - so the poll was left to run until the end of 2012.
- The 2011-12 Poll was not various reasons led to the final tot-up to this poll not happening until now (mid-May 2013)
- The 2013 Poll will not be a full year and may run until the end of 2014.
- Soft Pastels: What's your favourite make? (2011 results)
- Which is your favourite make of soft pastels? (2010 Poll Results)
- Opinion Poll: Which is your favourite make of soft pastels? (200609 results)
Unison Pastels - Resources for Pastel Artists is the website I created after Unison came top of the first three polls. It provides more links to information about the pastels and the products available. You can see pictures of the shades available - and what I've produced while using them.