- new drawing books in 2013
- revised editions of some well regarded existing publications
- new editions of some historical books about drawing.
Listings are on a month by month basis - as books are listed for publication (however note that its' not unusual for some of these dates to slip a month or two).
The books listed include:
- art instruction books about drawing and sketching - designed specifically for artists working in drawing media and those keeping sketchbooks / journals.
- academic books about drawing
- catalogues for exhibitions about drawings
I don't include every book published and to be frank my aim is to try and identify quality publications rather than more "same as same as" books and those which I regard as dumbed down.
|To be published by Wiley |
in February 2012
- the sixth edition of Basic Perspective Drawing: A Visual Approach by: John Montague
- Freehand Drawing and Discovery: Urban Sketching and Concept Drawing for Designers by: James Richards
Although their target audience is students and practising designers, architects, planners, and landscape architects, I'm sure there's bound to be content of interest for anybody who is serious about drawing buildings or anything involving perspective. They've not got to the "see inside" stage as yet - but could be worth a bookmark for those who have an interest in these areas.
There are also a number of excellent books coming up about drawings by master draftsmen and famous painters. Examples include:
To be published by D Giles Ltd
in January 2013
- Durer to de Kooning: 100 Master Drawings from Munich which is the catalogue of the exhibition which is coming to the Morgan Library and Museum in New York
- Fine Lines: American Drawings from the Brooklyn Museum - this is very first survey of their renowned collection of drawings
- Raphael: Drawings - based on the remarkable collection of Raphael's works in the collection of the Städel Museum in Frankfurt.
- Albrecht Dürer: Master Drawings, Watercolors, and Prints from the Albertina - this feels like it ought to be connected to an exhibition but I've yet to spot one
- Hopper Drawing (Whitney Museum of American Art) - this is an exploration of renowned painter Edward Hopper’s detailed compositional studies and figure drawings. It also appears to be connected to exhibitions although I can't yet confirm this from the museum websites. Here are the 'maybe' dates of the exhibition
- Whitney Museum of American Art (05/23/13–10/06/13)
- Dallas Museum of Art (11/17/13–02/16/14)
- Walker Art Center (03/15/14-06/22/14)
|To be published by YaleBooks|
in June 2013
This is what Yale Books (the publisher) have to say about the book
In 1967, Hopper's widow, Josephine Nivison Hopper, bequeathed her husband's artistic estate to the Whitney Museum of American Art, including a fascinating collection of more than 2,000 drawings spanning his entire career. This group of works has never been the subject of in-depth study and many have never been reproduced before. Hopper kept these drawings for personal reference as he revisited various themes throughout his career. Carter E. Foster carefully examines how Hopper used his drawings to develop his paintings, arguing that the artist's work can only be fully understood after in-depth study of these preparatory sketches. Foster also argues that Hopper was, in many ways, a traditional draftsman who methodically developed schematic ideas into detailed studies to refine content.
YaleBooks - Hopper Drawing by Carter E. Foster
Commentary on Drawing
Vitamin D2: New Perspectives in Drawing will be published in May 2013 by Phaidon and will feature contemporary drawing by 115 artists from around the world.
More drawing instruction and Andrew Loomis
The publishers of the venerable art instructor have not finished - we have one more. Fun With A Pencil by: Andrew Loomis was first published in 1939 and is going to be republished in April 2013 by Titan Books.
More Books about Drawing
Below you can find my other websites relating to books about drawing