Online publishing platforms
I'm focusing on three publishing platforms. Their own descriptions of themselves are quoted below.
Make your own book with Blurb online. Create photo books, wedding books and more. Design and publish professional quality books to keep, give or sell
Lulu.com brings the world of online book publishing to you. Looking to self-publish? Lulu's print on demand (POD) solutions make it quick and easy. Create a book in minutes, publish with the click of a mouse, distribute, sell and print books to order. It's that simple.
Explore a world of publications by people and publishers alike. Collect, share and publish in a format designed to make your documents look their very best.Below you can see what the unique monthly visitors are for the different sites when their website URLs are plugged into compete.com - a site which provides comparative site profiles.
Compete's data comes from a statistically representative cross-section of 2 million consumers across the United States who have given permission to have their internet clickstream behaviors and opt-in survey responses analyzed anonymously as a new source of marketing research. compete.comThese stats came as a bit of a surprise to me.
- I'm surprised that Lulu is about twice as big as blurb. I knew it was bigger but not that much bigger
- I'm amazed at how just how big Issuu is and will be seriously looking into this as a vehicle for publishing my work in future. Capturing the corporate audience with repeat readers is obviously an excellent way to grow your business. It remains to be seen whether it does the same for independent publishers.
- the above are predominantly statistics for an American Audience.
- You only really begin to get an appreciation of the global audience for Issuu in the Quantcast pages (see below) - and that's because it's so big.
- The US audience for Issuu is only around 25% of its global audience.
Click the link in the title to see the full Quantcast page.
Blurb on Quantcast - ranks 7,096 in USA
Lulu on Quantcast - ranks 2,740 in USA
Issuu on Quantcast - ranks 158 in USA
- Issuu is HUGE compared to the other two platforms - but only delivers online publications
- If you want to have your book or publication about your artwork found online by readers independently of your website or blog then you need to look very seriously at issuu
- If you want to produce a physical copy of your book for distribution to clients or galleries then you're better off looking at Blurb or Lulu.
What do you think?
In the meantime if you've got experience of any of the three sites and would like to share your experinces please leave a comment below.