Tuesday 19 October 2010

Zest-it Blending Sponge

Many coloured pencil artists will be familiar with the use of Zest-It as a solvent for getting speedy coverage of paper as an underpainting for artwork

Recently I was looking at the Zest-It site and spotted something that's new to me - and I guess a few other coloured pencils artists too.

It's called a Zest-It Blending Sponge.  It immediately put me in mind of one of those sponges that a lot of people use to apply "stuff" to their faces - and I was guessing it probably worked in pretty much the same way.

Zest-It Blending Sponge
For blending Coloured Pencils and Pastel for Parchment and other work on vellum or paper. An easy, clean and convenient way of using Zest-it to moisten paper stumps, tortillions and shapers.
Pre-impregnated with 15 ml of Zest-it and ready for use. Re-moisten when necessary with 5 ml of Zest-it Brush Cleaner, Pencil or Parchment Blend.
Then I took a look at the website page which pictures the product.

So - the bit I'm puzzled about - given the photo on the website page - is where is the sponge!?

What it looks like is a tub of transparent shoe cleaner.  So is there a sponge in there and does it lift out?  Or do you use it like shoe cleaner and wipe it onto surfaces using a tool - such as a paper stump or tortillon?  If the latter - why call it a sponge?  [Anyway, I've written to Zest-It to ask and am awaiting a reply]

Has anybody got theis product already - and if so, how do you find it.  More particularly, have you written a review of it which I can link to?

12 comments:

visioneerwindows said...

It looks like that white in the jar IS the sponge, on which one wipes the tortillon or whatever to then use on blending, etc., then the lid is on to keep it moisturized...

Anonymous said...

The white in the jar is the sponge. You use it by dipping the tip of your pencil (not a good idea although this is what the manufactures recommend) or a torillon or similar and then apply it to the painting. The sponge is impregnated with Zest-it. When it dries you just add more. I bought one but really did not find it very useful. I would not recommend it. I will stick to using liquid Zest-it and a brush or q-tip.

Making A Mark said...

Interesting to have a comment from somebody who has used it - thanks.

Can you take the sponge out and use it to spread colour around?

That sort of application I could understand but couldn't work out how you would clean it up afterwards

Marion Brown said...

My previous post should have read tortillon.

Making A Mark said...

Thinking about it - couldn't I just get a sponge and a jar and some zest-it and create a home made one?

Marion Brown said...

You could take the sponge out but when I tried it did not really work. It left streaks and because it is quite a big sponge (2.5 inch diameter and an inch think)would only be suitable for large areas. Also, a bit messy. Every time you use it you would need to wash you hands or risk messing your painting up. I am not trying to put anyone off but I would not like any one to waste their money. Bit of a gimmick I think.

Making A Mark said...

Thanks Marion - you comments much appreciated.

If anybody thinks otherwise and has used it successfully please do not hesitate to leave a comment

What does not suit one person may well suit another.

Marion Brown said...

Yes, you could easily manufacture one at home and have custom sized sponges.

Making A Mark said...

I think I might try testing different sponges with it. I'm forever keeping small glass jars for indeterminate "useful things"! Now I got a useful use!

Anonymous said...

My problem is I am a sucker for anything new. I agree it may suit other people, especially if you work on a larger scale tha me. I tend to work arounf the 5" x 7" size
I agree you could make your own and vary the sponge size. I have just checked the instructions and it says "An easy, clean and convenient way of using Zest-it to moisten paper stumps, tortillons and shapers."

Sue Smith said...

I have actually made a home made version of this, I use one of those little watercolour sponges. I dip cotton buds in it and spread the colour with it. I haven't tried taking the sponge out as you say I don't know how I would clean it.

Making A Mark said...

I can certainly imagine that using a sponge provides better control over the take up of liquid.

Interesting to hear that watercolour sponges work fine with the Zest-It solution

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...